Site Meter

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fun at the Dollar General Store


We have a lot of dollar stores in New York, but the Dollar General here in Baton Rouge kicks all their asses right up and down 42nd Street. I'm telling you.

Until yesterday, I'd yet to find a store where I could find Christian party games and musical light-up Halloween skeleton-head lights in the same goddamned aisle.


Lily buried herself in the deluge of cheap, poorly organized Halloween finery, while I bit my lip, trying to decide between the Barbie-sized Christ and Moses action figures to bring home and add to our collection of curiosities (which include Jesus finger puppets, a smoking baby figurine and Jeremy's signed autograph from Dave Thomas).

I was also tres psyched to find a Lily a little vampire costume/dress for $8 (now she can't change her mind at the 11th hour like she did with the giant pumpkin costume her grandmother made last year out of orange fabric and pillow stuffing:"But I wanna trick-or-treat as CINDERELLA!!!").

When the pretty, African-American checkout girl rang up our purchases without looking up, she said idly, "Oooh, you're gonna be a scary vampire for Halloween? That's cool!"
Then she looked up and our eyes met and I saw that she was wearing contact lenses of the most electric blue I thought I might be looking at Michael Jackson himself in "Thriller".

That was some major adrenaline-pumping for a Wednesday, I'll tell you.

8 comments:

  1. Dave Thomas from Wendy's or from SCTV?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim would like Sadie and Violet to be Dora and boots respectively for this Halloween. I don't know about the ethical ramifications of dressing up my daughters as a Hispanic child with absent parents and a hyper-intelligent monkey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've also got a doug mckenzie action figure, so no worries. all the dave thomas bases are covered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dollar General RAWKS! In my small town we have Dollar General, Family Dollar AND a Fred's! We are uptown, baby:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an awesome day! There's nothing better than poking around a dollar store.

    P.S. I am insanely jealous of the Dave Thomas autograph.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lily was totally in character with that hockey mask!

    ReplyDelete