Site Meter

Friday, October 23, 2009

Dead Dog

I'm reading Linda Lou's poignant and inspiring memoir, Bastard Husband: A Love Story and I came across a passage that resonated with me, especially today. She describes meeting two strangers at the DMV and how just having a friendly interaction with them made an otherwise shitty day better. (By the way, if you haven't read Linda's book, you can buy it here. And I strongly recommend that you do [makes threatening mafia-type throat-slitting gesture]). It's kick ass.

I had a similar experience today, incidentally. Sort of. I was working on the computer earlier and was startled right out of my very skin by the dog's savage barking and snarling and hurling his full weight at the front door.

Ah, I thought to myself, heart pounding double time in my ears, Mail must be here.

The dog has routinely tried to kill the mailman every day since way before I lived in this house, and still his daily attempt to break through the front door around 10 am rattles me to the core. I took a deep yogic breath and tried to get back to work.

Then the doorbell rang, and I thought, Shiiiiit. The mailman never rings the bell. Maybe it's not him after all. Please, please don't let it be the Jehovah's Witnesses, I fretted. Or the Baptists. Or the Catholics. Jeremy has taken to putting my name on the mailing lists of many of the local churches, so I have been receiving a variety of religious marketing literature instructing me how to be saved by accepting Jesus as my Lord and Savior and drinking his blood and such. It's terribly amusing.

Luckily, it was just the mailman. And I like the mailman. See, when you are living the life of a suburban house frau, you get to know the folks who drift through your neighborhood when the normal people are at work. I'm also on a first name basis with the garbage man and my neighbor's mosquito exterminator. My situation's probably not much different than that of a retired or infirm person.

The dog protested bitterly as I put him out back, and then I opened the front door. The mailman was standing a few feet away on the lawn, mace in hand. I would not want this poor bastard's job. Still, he had an ease about him. He's tall, like Harlem Globetrotters-tall, and has a gentle smile that's disarming and friendly. He's kind of like what you'd expect the mailman to be on a kids show.

"Sorry," I said, embarrassed. "He's old and protective and kind of grouchy. I really hope he dies soon."

The words came out before I could stop them, and the mailman started laughing.

I felt bad for saying that, though. I mean, yes, the dog is a pain in the ass, but I don't want him to die. He may be high strung and he has weird territorial issues with the bed (I get up to pee at 2 am and he's rolled into my spot, and when I groggily try to lay back down he emits a stream of threatening falsetto growls from his bowels and refuses to move), but he's generally a good dog. Mostly he is a nice dog. Except not when he's on the bed.

He does snack out of the litter box, too, and actually barfed up a bunch of partially-digested cat turds in my front seat one morning on the ride to school, (this was my fault though; I should never have brought him. Although he likes going for car rides in theory, and gets all tail-waggin and stuff when we put his leash on, once he's actually in the car, all he does is whine and try to escape), but he's gentle with Lily and will tirelessly play with her in the yard until she's exhausted. So, no. I don't really want the dog to die.

"I shouldn't have said that. That really wasn't nice, and it's not true," I said, my mouth stretched into an embarrassed thin line.

The mailman just continued to laugh and broke into an easy grin as he handed me an envelope and had me sign for it. "I know, I know, but hoo boy! It was a funny thing to say. You just made my day, you know that?"

I was surprised. "I did?"

"Yeah, I have not been having the best day, see, I thought I lost my wallet, and I was late for work, and you saying that about your dog just cracked me up. It made me feel better. Thanks for that".

This pleased me. I was glad to have had that effect on someone's day. See? We never know when some mindless or simple thing we say will make somebody feel better. Even if the subject of the hoot-worthy statement was a dead animal. I'm sure the dog would forgive me, though. We all have shitty days.

11 comments:

  1. Wow... cat poop and dog barf in one shot! That's impressive. If only he could have peed at the same time it would have been an unholy trifecta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my life is animal feces. It's everywhere I go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do have a rather magical effect on people. You are funny in a very unique and healthy way. Incidentally, I'm Baptist so if you'd like me to come over and save you, I can do that. Yep, I'm Baptist-certified, which is like being a lifeguard except without the tan or nice body. Well, OK, I'm lying. I don't think there is any such thing as "Baptist-certified", but it was fun just to scare you, you heathen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, I LOVE your profile pic! It's so totally you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. saved by accepting Jesus as my Lord and Savior and drinking his blood and such

    LMAO way to make Christians sound all of a sudden Demonic. You crack me up too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kris, all I have to deal with is toddler and baby poop. The cats are well behaved. It's odd how your suffering makes me feel better about cleaning Sadie's soiled panties.

    Any way, you are an excellent writer, and I didn't know what to say about your baby sitter entry. It was good, but... I don't know. I didn't really have baby sitters... you know?

    Thank you for supporting Kim. You are a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LMFAO @ you wish the dog would die soon[and I am a HUGE animal lover so absolve your guilt.]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I just finished Linda's book. Loved it. Sometimes it's the most unintentional things that fall out of our mouths that either make or break someone's day. Glad that in the case of the mailman, it made his day :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. why did it have to be "harlem globetrotters-tall?" why not "jeff goldblum-tall" or "abe lincoln-tall?"

    ReplyDelete