Site Meter

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I'm Baaaaack

Oh, my. I'm still writing /09 on everything I sign. (Because I'm always signing official documents and shit.) I find it takes about a month to get into the swing of writing the new year on stuff, don't you? And there isn't a natural progression from /09 to /10 as there would be, say, from /08 to /09. Oh, who cares. Do you care? Shut up, Kristin.

Hi, y'all!!! I'm back. New York was a whirlwind of ice, snow, my mom's red sauce, wine, manicotti, family, good friends, NYC pubs, too much cheesecake, and no alarm clocks (this is one of the wonderful things about staying with parents in another part of the country: they are so excited to have their grandchild waking up in the same house as them, they get up with her and go downstairs and have her full up with mini pancakes, Sponge Bob, and juice boxes galore before you've even cracked open one eye for the day. Praise yahweh, all is right with the world).

As nice as it was to be away, I was delighted to come back. Truth: As our plane descended over Lake Ponchartrain and came swooping down over the soft green ground of New Orleans, I smiled all big-like, totally involuntarily. I was home.

Though I've always loved the feeling of landing in Louisiana, mostly because I knew that always waiting at the gate for me would be my beloved, red-headed, dirty-Knicks-cap-wearin' Jeremy, and he'd fold me into his arms and not let go for the duration of our weekend rendezvous, this was the first time I was actually coming home here. And it felt...well, right. I don't know how else to describe it. I couldn't wait to get in my little car and zip home with the window down, passing saggy cypress trees whispering into the bayou. We lost count of the armadillos we passed, backs all glinty-silver in the sun, digging in the grass on the side of the road. When I was little, we used to look for dirt-colored bunnies hopping in the grass along the highway at sunset. My kid looks for nutria rats and armadillos. As Mr. Miyagi says, 'Different, but Same".

The pudgy little New York girl, hunting voraciously for brown bunnies from the back seat of her parents' Buick on the Long Island Expressway so many years ago never could have imagined a future life in South Louisiana. But hey, here I am.

And here we go...2010, bitches.

I didn't really make any resolutions, except to try and live in the present, have gratitude for the wonderful things in my life, and stop engaging in fucked-up retard dramatics from the past. I think if I can do this, then there's a good chance it'll be a fantastic year.

Also, I am gonna write a book.

What are your resolutions?

13 comments:

  1. I have resolved to be as positive an influence in the lives of my girls as I can possibly be. I might have screwed that up already, but tomorrow is another day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! I resolved to not make any resolutions this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have also resolved to be as positive an influence in the lives of scooter's girls as i can possibly be. especially the hot one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeremy, my daughters were born in 2007 and 2009, and Kim would laugh at you. Derisively.

    That said, seeing as you have an internal server error on your poorly coded website, I will help you out with your masturbation exercise regime.

    Semen contains about seven calories per 3.5 mililiters. We can assume that it takes about fifteen calories to produce those seven calories. So, right off, with every ejaculation, you have burned yourself 22 calories.

    Now, seeing as you are in your mid to late thirties, I would bet three ejaculations in a day is the upper limit. Each masturbation sessions can potentially burn 100 to 150 calories.

    So, (150 * 3) + (22 * 3) = 516 calories. That's not bad, really. Adding a mile walk to your routine, or masturbating while walking that mile should put you on the right track to losing that spare tire of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think your site is coded poorly, babe. But he's right that you can't leave comments...I keep getting an 'internal server error' message. And Scoot, he's actually in his early 30s...I know, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. poorly coded. that's funny.

    it was a directory permission error. my web host does that every new year for some reason, and i have to go in and manually change it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to see you are back! Love the new header:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so not reading all that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praise Jesus, Mary and Bono, did I read that correctly? You're going to write a book? Krissyface, I'm so proud! I'll help you any way I can. YAY!

    I know what you mean about that feeling of the plane coming in for a landing over Lake PontchaIdon'tknowhowtospellthefrigginthing. I'll be back there in four months for JazzFest. Maybe we can meet? I'll start dieting this minute!

    I'm psyched about this New Year. Especially now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LL, I will TOTALLY meet you at Jazz Fest!!!
    and you're my writerly icon. I love following BH on the FB and seeing all the great stuff that's happening with it. Now I just gots 2 get off my arse and write something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always refer to a couple years back as "nineteen-Ninety somethings"

    ReplyDelete